Botox Sweating Treatment Stockton
You may associate Botox with a wrinkle reduction treatment. Applications go beyond cosmetic though. Botox was injected to treat crossed eyes, uncontrolled blinking and facial spasms before it was approved to block signals from the nerves to muscles responsible for lines between and around our eyes or on our forehead.
In 2004 the FDA approved this neuromodulator for severe underarm sweating not effectively treated with topical medicines, according to Botox Medical.
What is severe underarm sweating?
Hyperhidrosis is the medical term for excessive sweating. The Hyperhidrosis Disease Severity Scale assesses the severity of each patient’s sweating.
Generally, the International Hyperhidrosis Society has established four categories to measure how sweating affects day-to-day activities:
- Sweating is barely noticeable, never interferes with daily activities
- Sweating is tolerable but sometimes interferes
- Sweating often interferes with day-to-day life, is barely tolerable
- Daily activities are always interrupted by sweat, which is intolerable
“Mild” or “moderate” hyperhidrosis may be diagnosed if No. 1 or No. 2 apply. A score of No. 3 or No. 4 indicates severe hyperhidrosis.
How it works
When injected into the affected area, Botox stops the nerves from sending signals to the sweat glands. These signals tell the glands to produce sweat. What results is perspiration even when it’s not needed. This is why those with hyperhidrosis may be perspiring even when it’s cool outside. The condition is worse in stressful situations.
Untreated areas of your body continue to produce sweat.
At the doctor’s office
Treatment at the California Skin & Laser Center in Stockton takes about 10 to 15 minutes. During the procedure, expect the following:
- An anesthetic may be applied to numb the area to be treated, though Botox for hyperhidrosis is generally well tolerated
- The affected area is injected with a small amount of the Botox solution through a fine needle
- Some injection-related discomfort may be experienced but this side effect is generally mild
- Other injections will be administered to the treatment site during the session, with the number dependent on Dr. Bock and his team’s assessment of each patient’s condition
Botox Severe Sweating reports patients should experience a “significant reduction” in underarm sweating within four weeks of treatment. In a clinical study, the company notes results for half of the patients surveyed lasted at least 201 days.
This treatment can be a life-changer, but keep in mind it is not a cure. When symptoms start to come back, then it’s time to schedule another session with Dr. Bock and his staff.
Botox may be a good option if you have tried OTC and prescription antiperspirants and other products to no avail. This is also an alternative for those with severe hyperhidrosis who don’t want invasive procedures, such as surgery to remove sweat glands or to manipulate the nerves that trigger the perspiration.
The California Skin & Laser Center offers Botox for sweating in Stockton, but is it right for you? Call our local office at 209-751-4292 for a consultation.
Back to Botox and Dysport Page