Injectable dermal fillers containing hyaluronic acid, poly-L-lactic acid, or hydroxylapatite microspheres are safe and effective. In this article, Elk Grove Board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Gerald Bock, explains what to expect after treatment with these face fillers.
What fillers do
The primary role of fillers is to restore lost volume. Various dermal fillers are placed at specific depths and locations on the face to restore volume. The effect is multi-fold:
- Fill lines and wrinkles.
- Provide lift at the apples of cheeks which raises lax skin in the lower portion of the face.
- Fill hollows at temples and below cheekbones.
- Stimulate the body to produce more natural collagen, helping to tighten lines, wrinkles, and laxity long-term.
- Plump and define lips.
Dr. Bock also offers the Y Lift for maximum filler effect. This is a precise technique of adding volume to upper cheeks, jaw line, and lower central face. The resulting lift gives definition to the chin, jawline, and upper neck.
What to expect after face fillers
Treatment in Elk Grove, Lodi, or Stockton begins with a consultation with Dr. Bock. He evaluates your skin and takes time to understand your unique concerns. Then he applies academic background in dermatology, a deep understanding of the characteristics of facial anatomy, and decades of clinical experience to design a treatment plan tailored to your needs.
There is essentially no downtime with fillers. You may return to work or other activities after treatment, but please follows these common-sense guidelines:
- Follow aftercare instructions provided by the doctor and staff.
- Unless otherwise directed, avoid massaging, rubbing, pressing, or sleeping on the treated area for a few hours to avoid disrupting placement of the filler.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, saunas, or hot baths/showers for three to four hours. Getting overheated contributes to swelling and bruising.
- Stay out of the sun the remainder of the day, and wear sunscreen every day to minimize UV damage.
- Apply cool compresses for about ten minutes each hour to soothe swelling, if you experience this mild side effect.
- Postpone facials, chemical peels, or other topical therapies for a day or two.
You will see an immediate difference from the volume of the filler itself, and continued improvement as natural collagen builds. Results last several months, and periodic re-treatment maintains natural-looking, youthful facial volume.
Call 209-751-4292 in Stockton, 209-330-0764 in Lodi, or 209-900-1343 in Elk Grove to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Bock.