How to get rid of acne scarring in Elk Grove, CA
Acne can be debilitating for a person’s self-confidence, and one of the biggest problems that acne sufferers face is the scarring it can cause, leaving pockmarks, raised areas, or other visual remnants of breakouts long after they have subsided. There are multiple types of acne scars that can form, and all of them can be difficult to hide. At the California Skin and Laser Center in Elk Grove, CA, Dr. Gerald Bock and the team of dermatology professionals are here to help. With a wide range of treatment options for acne scarring, you can start feeling confident in your skin again. If you are interested in learning how to get rid of your acne scarring for clearer, smoother, and more evenly toned skin, read on!
Acne scars explained
Acne scars affect up to one-third of people who suffer from acne. Scarring is especially prevalent in people with cystic acne or acne conglobata, but it can result from any form of the condition at any age, including acne in infants. Although it can be unsightly and embarrassing, scarring is part of the body’s natural healing process.
One of the most common ways that scars form is when new collagen forms to repair the skin where a wound has occurred. When this occurs, it can cause thick, lumpy areas on the skin, which are called keloid or hypertrophic scars. In other cases, patients may develop pitted or indented scars due to the damage that acne has inflicted on their skin, including icepick scars, boxcar scars, rolling scars, or atrophic scars. In addition, some patients may experience unwanted pigmentation that is red, brown, white, pink, or purple after an acne breakout. Some patients may experience just one type of scarring, whereas others may have multiple types of scars.
Minimizing the appearance of acne scars
The appropriate treatment option for acne scars depends on the type of scarring that you have.
- Laser treatments, such as Fraxel® Restore laser therapy and ProFractional™ laser, work deep within the skin to promote remodeling and healthy skin formation, in turn minimizing the appearance of scars. In addition, laser therapies can also combat active acne breakouts and minimize the appearance of hyperpigmentation (red, brown, purple, or other unwanted pigments) in the skin. At California Skin & Laser Center, we are equipped with a wide array of lasers and are highly experienced at determining which laser type is best for a patient’s individual skin care needs and then customizing the settings for each laser to deliver optimal results.
- Genius®/Infini™ microneedling is a customizable, state-of-the-art treatment that combines radiofrequency energy with the time-tested microneedling procedure to deliver healing energy into the deep layers of the skin, where it regenerates healthy skin cells and promotes collagen formation.
- Dermabrasion has been used for decades to improve the surface of the skin and treat scars. This treatment helps resurface the skin for improved texture and tone, but traditional dermabrasion, can have a significant recovery time.
- Dermal fillers can help restore volume in pitted or grooved scars. While dermal fillers are temporary and require maintenance treatments, they can have a dramatic impact on the smoothness of your skin.
- Other treatments such as subcision and surgery can also be used to treat acne scars.
Even better, many of these treatments have anti-aging benefits and provide an extra boost in youthfulness and vitality for your skin. Dr. Bock can evaluate your scarring and discuss the best options for your specific type(s) of acne scars and other cosmetic goals. In some cases, a combination of procedures may be recommended to provide the best results.
Schedule your consultation today
If you are tired of feeling self-conscious about your acne scars, it is important to know that you have options. At the California Skin and Laser Center, Dr. Gerald Bock or his trained consultants will take the time to thoroughly evaluate your skin and discuss your medical history and treatment preferences before recommending the best acne scar removal treatment plan for your individual needs.
With offices in Elk Grove, Lodi, and Stockton, we are never far from work or home so you can fit your appointment into even the busiest of schedules. Take the next step towards a more even complexion that is free from acne scarring today by calling us at 209-900-1343!
Back to Acne Treatment Page